Several of Landon IP’s leaders will be teaching the course “The Art and Science of Patent Searching” at two different programs this Fall, sharing their expertise with other professionals in the intellectual property community.
Jonathan Skovholt, Director of Training and Information Services, and Brian Thurmond, Director of Patent Searching, will be teaching this course on October 16-18, 2013 at Patent Resources Group’s (PRG) Fall 2013 Advanced Courses Program. This Program is being held at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa in Huntington Beach, California. Additional details about this course and the rest of this PRG program can be found on the PRG website. Anyone interested in attending can register via fax or mail or online.
In addition, Mr. Skovholt will be joining Matt Rodgers, Managing Director, Europe for Landon IP Ltd., to teach this patent searching course in partnership with Management Forum from October 30, 2013 through November 1, 2013 at The Rembrandt Hotel in London. Additional details are provided in the course brochure. Anyone interested in attending can register online from the course page on the Management Forum website.
“The Art and Science of Patent Searching” is a two-and-a-half day course that provides comprehensive instruction on how to conduct professional patent searches. Topics covered will include:
- How to approach a search in a systematic, methodical and exhaustive way
- How to properly scope a search
- How to carefully search using different classification systems, text query progression, citations and bibliographic information, and knowing the benefits and pitfalls of each
- Both the major differences and subtle nuances in the steps of conducting a patentability, validity, or infringement patent search
- Searching non-patent literature
- Approaches to searching non-native-language patents and published applications
- Differences between the major patent search engines and important considerations in selecting an appropriate search tool
Both offerings of this course provide opportunities for hands-on searching practice, as detailed in the course descriptions.
The course is designed to benefit everyone from novice searchers to the most seasoned patent practitioner or search professional. Landon IP’s people are the professional patent search experts and thought leaders. Mr. Rodgers, Mr. Skovholt, and Mr. Thurmond are all experienced patent searchers and seasoned lecturers, having taught this course many times for both Management Forum and Patent Resources Group.