If you are interested in post-grant patent practice, PRG is offering two distinct courses on this hot topic at our Spring 2014 Advanced Courses Program. This leading industry educational and networking event is being held from March 30-April 5, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa in Bonita Springs, FL.
The 3-day course focuses on Review and Reexamination and has been one of our highest-rated courses since its first offering 5 years ago. The new 1-day course focuses on Reissue. Both courses are taught by Kevin Laurence and Matt Phillips, two extremely skilled and dedicated practitioners. Read below for more details on these two courses.
Post-Grant Patent Practice: Review and Reexamination (March 30-April 1, 2014)
The first day of this two-and-a-half-day course focuses on ex parte reexamination and also addresses inter partes reexamination. The second day is dedicated to inter partes review. Topics covered in the final half day include post-grant review, covered business method patent review, and ethical issues related to review proceedings and reexamination. The course covers strategies, tactics, best practices and case studies for review and reexamination. The course is for both patent practitioners who appear before the PTO in these proceedings, as well as litigators who must deal with the increasingly common role of PTO proceedings in the context of disputes.
Some of the key topics covered by this course include how to:
- Develop strategies for the use of concurrent litigation and review proceedings
- Prepare review petitions that result in institution on all proposed rejections
- Appreciate the objectives at each incremental due date of review proceedings
- Understand what PTAB judges view favorably as parties conduct review proceedings
- Strategically use the guidance from the PTAB’s growing body of jurisprudence
- Utilize review and reexamination to obtain a stay or other benefits in related litigation
- Make well-informed choices between review proceedings and reexamination and how each is best used
- Understand the repercussions that review and reexamination can have on settlement
Post-Grant Patent Practice: Reissue, Owner-Requested Reexamination & Supplemental Examination — NEW COURSE (April 2, 2014)
Reissue is an indispensable tool for every patent owner, especially those who find themselves having a valuable patent that no longer has a continuation pending.
For patent prosecutors this course covers strategies, tactics, best practices and case studies for the following tools:
- Owner-requested ex parte reexamination
- Supplemental examination (new under the AIA)
- Other options such as certificate of correction, disclaimer, and “corrective” claim construction
For patent owners, this course provides training to:
- Choose among ex parte reexamination, reissue and supplemental examination to best strengthen and improve a patent
- Avoid, when possible, intervening rights that arise via the cancellation or amendment of claims
- Understand how and when these proceedings may be merged
- Select information to be disclosed to the PTO from concurrent litigation or other PTO proceedings
Register today for either or both of these outstanding courses! And check out the full course catalog for this Program!